Since the mid-1960s the community surrounding the Town of Four Oaks has been preserving the history of Bentonville Battlefield until today nearly 40,000 visitors a year visit this pristine Civil War Battlefield. For those visitors eager to explore what lies beyond I-95, the community of Four Oaks offers heritage, recreation, hunting and a quaint downtown area for shopping and dining.
Visitors can shop along Four Oaks Main Street. There are clothing boutiques, eateries, and an old fashioned general store to explore; while you're there buy a coke in a glass bottle or purchase a local piece of hand-crafted art.
Top 10 Things to Do in Four Oaks
- Walk the fields and union earthworks at the Bentonville Battlefield State Historic Site – the largest land battle fought in North Carolina during the Civil War. Also enjoy the museum, Harper House and driving trails of the battlefield.
- If you want to ride bikes in Johnston County, there are many country roads to explore. There are four new JoCo Bike Routes, download the brochure on www.johnstoncountync.org
- If you love to hunt for deer or would like to try shooting boar, contact Howell Woods for several controlled hunts….you can even rent a “green” cabin for the trip right on the site.
- Stop and shop in one of Johnston County’s original hardware stores at Stanfield's General Store in Four Oaks.
- Experience the auctioneer’s fast paced chant as he sales antiques at the Four Oaks Auction Gallery – last Saturday of the month.
- A day of fun is in store for you and the whole family at the Four Oaks Acorn Festival with a parade, live entertainment, and art exhibits.
- Experience how Christmas was celebrated with the Harper House kitchen decorated with authentic Victorian Era Yuletide decorations at Bentonville Battlefield Civil War Site.
- If you don't have a fear of heights and want a romantic float over the countryside -- give the folks at Carolina High Hot Air Balloon Company a call.
- Wondering how to tour the county for beer tour, wine tastings and some moonshine. Get the new Beer, Wine, Shine Trail brochure that pulls it all together for you, with great coupons too!
- Pick strawberries April to June at Smith’s Strawberry Farm & Nursery at McGee’s Crossroads, Beasley’s Berries in Clayton for some fun with the kids!.