Kenly is located on the northeastern edge of Johnston County. The town limits are within two counties, Johnston and Wilson. Kenly is approximately centered between the towns of Smithfield and Wilson on U.S. 301. Raleigh, the state capital, is forty miles west. The Town of Kenly has long been known as "Friendly Kenly", and visitors will find that sentiment to be true.
In May Kenly is the site of the East Coast Jamboree, a three day Truck Show and Car Show with live music and other activities, hosted by the Kenly 95 Petro Truck Stop.
Top 10 Things to Do in Kenly
- Spend the day on the restored farmstead at the Tobacco Farm Life Museum and see how Eastern North Carolina farm families lived, worked and played during the depression era.
- Enjoy roadside landmarks, visit the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse at the Kenly 95 Truckstop for a photo and lunch at one of seven restaurants.
- Did you know you can find rhododendron in the Flower Hill area, where the piedmont meets the coastal plain in North Carolina… the best time to visit the area is the first couple of weeks in May.
- Explore the unique mud and stick chimney construction and hand-hew planks of the Boyette Slave & Schoolhouse near Kenly.
- Celebrate a country-style Christmas at Tobacco Farm Life Museum with old-fashioned decorations and refreshments.
- Watch stock cars circle the track at Southern National Speedway near Kenly every Saturday night – April to October.
- Celebrate the community’s commitment to their agriculture heritage every Saturday at Stepping into the Past demonstrations at the annual Tobacco Farm Life Museum in Kenly.
- Learn more about the history of Kenly and the lives of local farmers and citizens at the Kenly Area Historical Society.
- Find out who the Cornbread Man is at Atkinson’s Mill and take a tour of the old grist mill still producing outstanding cornmeal products. Where did hush puppies get their name anyway?
- Stop and sip on grapes or buy some jelly as you enjoy the picturesque vineyards and winery at Hinnant Family Vineyards in Pine Level.